Tuesday, June 24, 2014

COMPANY STYLE BLOGGER AWARDS & WINNING BEST PERSONAL STYLE BLOG (NEWCOMER)




Dress - Missguided* | Shoes - Jeffrey Campbell Soirees | Clutch - Brooklyn Thrift Shop Find

On Wednesday I set off for London for the event we've all been counting down the days to, the Company Magazine Style Blogger Awards. I'm sure most of you know by now that I am a huge fan of Company. It's been my favourite magazine for years and I really admire what they stand for. It was such an honour to be shortlisted and I was really quite overwhelmed to have reached the top ten in my category. I went with absolutely no expectations and if I'm telling you the truth, it never even crossed my mind that I might actually win. I know that sounds ridiculous as I was there with the purpose of having been shortlisted. But really. My arms were full, my concentration wasn't even 100%, and I was feeling a little bit sorry for the people who were going to have to hike up the stairs in their sky high heels. So when my name was read out and blog came up on that huge screen, I was in shock for a good 3 seconds too long. I think I would've carried on standing there with my mouth open if it wasn't for the lovely Stylingo girls who more or less had to take everything out of my arms and shove me up on the stage. 

It really is such an overwhelming feeling to be recognised for such a huge award and I spent most of the night walking around the event feeling like I was having an out of body experience. I've never won much besides an Easter egg decorating competition so this was a totally new feeling for me! I remember reading Company's Twitter feed last year as the winners were announced and feeling so excited and happy for my favourite bloggers. I never imagined that in under 12 months I would be the one winning. It's so amazing to think that so many of you out there took the time to vote for my little blog and I really can't thank you all enough. My phone was blowing up with messages and new followers (thanks for the shoutout, Company ;)) and I was so overwhelmed by your support - it reminded me how incredible it is to be a part of this community of such inspiring and supportive girls.

So now that all of the gushing is out of the way, let's get onto the event.  I got ready in my lovely hotel room in Covent Garden which the Travelodge kindly provided as part of their #GetUpAndGo campaign. Travelodges are always my go to for accommodation as they are much more reasonably priced than other hotels. I would definitely stay there again! It was a lovely spacious room, comfy bed and everything you'd expect from a Travelodge, so thank you so much to them for the stay. My dress was sent to me by Missguided which I loved and I paired it with my Jeffrey Campbell Soirees and clutch that I found in a thirft store in Brooklyn. I met up with my blogging friends Lauren and Claire from Stylingo who I already knew as we went out for dinner a few weeks back, along with some new faces, Leanne, Hannah, Megan, Charlotte, Abbie and Atoosa. We had a few drinks at the Queen of Hoxton on the rooftop bar (cue foundation slowly melting off my face) before grabbing a taxi to the Oval Space. It was a lovely, chilled out event with an outdoor BBQ, ice cream and lots of cocktails. Inside there was lots going on, a Missguided festival fashion section, Lee Stafford doing hair and a nail bar. 

Winning this award has really motivated me to be the best I can be and to keep improving my blog. I've barely been doing this for 10 months, and being 19, I still feel like I haven't even completely figured blogging out just yet. There's nothing like a trophy on your desk to kick you into producing the best content. I've been a little bit absent the past month with my exams but I have a lot of posts scheduled for July which I've been working hard on in the past week to make sure I have content going up throughout my internship at Company. With my 50mm lens and being in London I feel like there's nothing holding my back for some awesome outfit posts, too, so stay tuned for those! 

So, THANK YOU ALL (for the millionth time), and Missguided and Company for organising such an incredible evening! 
Lydia Rose,
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment