Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Beauty Products Worth The Hype In 2014

Being a beauty blogger, it's hard to ignore the latest additions to the beauty world. Bloggers are the biggest enablers when it comes to buying products, especially ones that generate hype in the beauty bloggersphere. When it comes to giving into the hype, I hold up my hands and say, I'm guilty as charged. But after years of reading blogs, I've finally learned that it's really not always worth splurging on the latest NARS release and subsequently living off beans on toast for the next few weeks. Ok, that isn't necessarily true, seeing as I don't really give a hoot about going over my budget as long as I get to do it in a pretty MAC lipstick. But let's be realistic, guys, as much as we love beauty, some products simply aren't worth the hype. The Christmas period is the perfect time to clear out samples I don't really use (I take is as an opportunity to give back to all of the people I've made squat with a camera) and rummage through my stash, reflecting on the products that really got my little beauty blogger heart fluttering this year. Here's the low-down...

THE BASE: 2014 was an amazing year for Benefit releases. Love them or hate them, Benefit sure know how to market a product, and I was lucky enough to work closely with them last year. One of the products that really impressed me was Benefit Bigger than BB Cream* (full review here). 2014 saw in a heap of failed BB creams, but this one by Benefit which isn't quite a foundation or a BB cream is perfect for girls looking for a lighter coverage. The main thing I loved about this was the liquid to powder formula which gave a flawless matte finish. Whilst the NARS Tinted Moisturiser has been a cult favourite amongst beauty bloggers, the Bigger than BB is much better suited to oiler-skined gals, as it doesn't require frequent powder applications throughout out the day. Another major bonus of this product is the 35 SPF, making it the perfect summer base.
Moving onto foundation, the NARS Sheer Glow was a dominating product, and one of my most popular reviews to date (read here). This was the product that saw lots of bloggers stepping away from the MAC Studio Fix in favour for Sheer Glow, a foundation which promised a dewy coverage but a less cakey finish. If you're looking for a flawless high end foundation that's much lighter on the skin than foundations like Studio Fix, then Sheer Glow is for you.
To round up my top base products, I couldn't leave out the infamous NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer, a beauty blogger's staple. This is without a doubt my all time favourite concealing product, flawless coverage that illuminates whilst concealing, and doesn't crease beneath the eyes. What more can you want in a concealer?!

THE CHEEKS:  Another Benefit release that I had to mention was the Majorette* blush, whilst Benefit brought out various new tint products in 2014, it was Majorette which really stole my heart. This cream blush looks beautiful when stippled onto the cheeks and stays put all day. I love this most for a subtle orange glow that I don't have to worry about reapplying, unlike powder blushes, which have a tendency to go patchy. This product is also designed act as a 'booster blush'; think a primer for your favourite blushes. With Hervana sweeped over the top, Majorette has been my favourite cheek combo this year.
If the NARS Virtual Domination Palette didn't land under your tree this Christmas, then you better get writing santa some serious hate mail. I was lucky to receive this beautiful palette for Christmas, consisting of all of the NARS' top blushes, including the Laguna bronzer. This is any blush fanatic's dream palette and one that takes a special space on my dressing table.
Finally, the last cheek product that really lived up to the hype is one I recently reviewed here, the Mary Lou-Manizer. This is such a great budget highlight, I love the buttery texture and champagne colour.

THE EYES: For eyes this year, for me it was all about building up my first MAC Pro Palette which I really need to blog. But another release I've loved is the Naked Basics. I didn't get the hype about this at first as I've never really been one for boring, neutral colours. Buying this completely changed my mind, it's such a versatile everyday palette and the matte shades are perfect for blending out smokier looks.

THE LIPS: Unless you missed the Kylie Jenner hysteria, Velvet Teddy has been the lipstick flying off MAC counters this year to get that plump, nude lip. I've been a huge fan of this shade and find it works on a range of skin tones, really making it a perfect nude. But it was the lower-end brands which really ticked the boxes for lip releases last year. The Maybelline Colour Drama lip pencils are some of the best that I've ever come across in terms of pigmentation and staying power, making them an amazing dupe for the NARS lip pencils. Another lip release that I can't miss out is the Bourjois Rouge Edition range, even though these aren't the easiest to reply, the velvet finish these lipsticks give really is beautiful.

TOOLS AND SCENTS: Marc Jacobs has a special place in my heart when it comes to perfume, I wasn't sold on the Daisy Dream at first but I now prefer it to the original. It's slightly more grown up than Daisy, so it's a nice change after wearing it constantly for two years, and how pretty is the bottle?! As for tools, I fell absolutely in love with the Zoeva Rose Gold Brush Kit was an absolute dressing table essential that I'll be reviewing in full soon. It's a great basic kit and I've loved it so much that I'm thinking of investing in the eye kit, too. I even love their version of MAC's 217 blending brush to the original!

Did you love any of these? What products lived up to the hype for you in 2014?
Lydia Rose,
xoxo

Shop The Post:

No comments:

Post a Comment