Tuesday, September 9, 2014

HOW BLOGGING HAS CHANGED MY RELATIONSHIP WITH BEAUTY


August marked the one year anniversary of this blog, and in that time, my relationship with beauty has definitely changed. When I first started blogging, I really didn't have any idea what I was doing. And let me tell you a little secret, I didn't know a whole lot about beauty, either. Besides a make-up addiction, I was just a girl with a blog and a camera trying to figure out what to do with her little space on the internet. Fast track a year of passionately reading blogs and striving to create original content, I've learnt a whole lot from beauty blogging. So here's how blogging has changed my relationship with beauty...

A good skincare routine really does work wonders. 
My days of being a face wipes kinda girl are well and truly dead and buried. Gone are the days of laziness and stocking up on Primark face wipes. These days, even if I stumble in drunk as hell and fall asleep fully clothed - you better believe that I will have managed to cleanse, tone, moisturise and sometimes even apply a face oil before falling asleep. I've learnt a lot about skincare and since sticking to a routine it's worked wonders for my skin. I owe it to beauty bloggers for sharing their skincare favourites and teaching me the wonders of things like double cleansing and that oily products and oily skin aren't necessarily incompatible.

Beauty blogging will make you buy more products, but you will end up a pro at not giving into the hype. Eventually.
Okay. Guilt as charged. If you haven't ever gone out and bought a hyped up product because you saw it plastered all over the blogosphere, then you're probably lying. I'm sure most bloggers will be with me when I say that I've done my fair share of giving into the hype. But in a year of blogging, I've realised that spending all of your money on the latest MAC release is kind of dumb. I've worked out what works for me, the products I'll get the use out of and when an investment is due. After all, nothing is worse than giving into the hype for it to just gather dust in your make-up drawer.

Beauty blogging gives you a whole new language.
The beauty jargon is endless; double-cleanse, dupe, swatch, haul, FOTD/LOTD/EOTD/NOTD, "holy grail", cut-crease. You will never be able to describe something as "pigmented" without slightly impersonating your favourite beauty vlogger. And don't even get me started on how NARS' tasteful blush names have made things a little awkward.

You will have a new sense of colour. 
A lipstick is no longer red, it's blue-toned, orange-red, classic-red, or fuschia-toned.  It also becomes necessary to own 15 slightly varying brown eye shadows. After a year of beauty blogging, the entire colour palette opens itself up to a new dimensions of nuances, under-tones and finishes.

WTF was life before make-up brushes?! 
My initiation into make-up brushes began with the so hyped Real Techniques buffing brush and since then I've never looked back. I literally wouldn't even know where to begin with putting on my make-up without my brushes! 

Matte eyeshadows are actually worth buying. 
Before I started blogging, the matte shades in my NAKED palettes were the most untouched. I mean, why go matte when you can have shimmer?! But these days I'm hitting pan. I truly overestimated the importance of neutral, matte shades when applying my eyeshadow. They give a whole new dimension to the eye and immediately up your eyeshadow application skills. Blending out a matte shade through a shimmery eye-look makes it look so much more put together. I'm also absolutely in love with an all-over matte brown and 

How to be braver with make-up.
I used to stick to the same make-up looks for night, day and special occasions. These days I'm adding fuchsias and cranberries to my make-up palettes. I'm getting braver with contouring. I stray away from my fool-proof red lipsticks. There's a lot of fun to be had with make-up as soon as you step out of your comfort zone. Funnily enough, since starting my beauty blog I'm far more at ease with my own face and going natural.

Has blogging changed your relationship with beauty? What has beauty blogging taught you?
Lydia Rose,

No comments:

Post a Comment