Friday, May 9, 2014

#DESTINATIONUNKNOWN | BANK COMPETITION ENTRY





It's that time of year where my Tumblr dash is on overdrive with LA girls in flower crowns and reblog after reblog of Vanessa Hudgens. Yep, we're approaching festival season. Suddenly dressing like a 70s reject (like I do, most days) becomes socially acceptable and every girl on the planet decides to adorn a bindi. If you haven't guessed, "Festival Fashion" edits gets me simultaneously eye-rolling over 'grunge chic' and 'boho babe' cliches all whilst desperately wishing I was at Coachella. It's addictive.
Glastonbury was my initiation into the festival world at just 11 years old. Pink butterflies painted on my face, I felt one step away from Stevie Nicks dancing in my boho maxi skirt. I also got sunburnt to a crisp. Scarlet tan lines were perfect warrior wounds to prove to my school friends that I'd spent the weekend hanging out with hippies. And totally adopted their mode de vie. Peace man, etc.


Then Leeds Festival. 18, staying up all night, getting to watch my favourite bands. In between eating too much pizza and moshing away, we made life-long, magical memories. We wrote 'PUSSY RIOT' across our knuckles and got into various feminist protests. One ended up with a best friend in a fist-fight. All in the name of our feminist heroes, of course.

But where do clothes fit in with the magic of festivals? We all know that living life through an Instagram filter can be disenchanting. You have to find that mid-ground.  How many girls at Coachella were clearly more focused on getting that perfect outfit post over experiencing the magic in front of them? I mean, come on, platforms are just impractical.

I'm not saying I wasn't armed with my disposable ready to capture memories. Or that I didn't dribble over the Mink Pink dresses. But if you're there just to get street-styled, you're not going to have fun. By day 2, you will be a dirty, damp, dry-shampooed matted mess. It's part of the festival charm.

Festivals are an opportunity to let go of all your inhibitions and wear whatever you want.  If that means being that person raving in a chicken suit, there's room for that. But let's be honest, most people are too drunk to care.

My favourite festival style is laid-back and effortlessly stylish. T-shirt dresses, head chains and fringed kimonos. Festivals are the time to be care-free; to turn off your iPhone, to experience the now.  So, if I won Bank's insane #DestinationUnknown competition and got to go to 3 amazing European festivals this summer, these are the outfits I'd do it in....



Bank is your the go-to destination for festival wear and even stocks brands from Motel to Lavish Alice. My ultimate festival piece would definitely be the fringed kimono, perfect for working your inner Stevie Nicks magic. I would style the sunflower dress with a messy bun and red lipstick whilst hiding my tired eyes behind chunky sunglasses for a laid-back festival look. Finally, palazzo pants are perfect for hanging out around the camp fire when you're not knee deep in mud watching bands.

What will you be wearing this festival season? Do you have any funny festival memories or thoughts on Coachella fashion? 
Lydia Rose,
xoxo

P.S As you may have seen, I have been shortlisted in the Company Magazine Style Blogger Awards! Thank you to everyone who voted. Please vote for my blog as 'Best Personal Style - Newcomer' here 
If you think I deserve it, please nominate my blog for Cosmo's Best Newcomer here
And don't forget to enter my giveaway!  

No comments:

Post a Comment