Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Green Goddess Vegan Overnight Oats


A lot of you have been asking for recipes, so I thought I'd get things started with my current favourite vegan breakfast. Something you might not know, unless you follow me on Instagram, is that I'm extremely passionate about plant-based living and health. Lately I've been loving making different variations on overnight oats. These are great if you're busy and don't have time to prepare a healthy breakfast in the morning. You simply leave them in the fridge overnight and they're ready and delicious for you when you wake up! To make things even easier, you can prepare them in a jar, pop the lid on and take them with you. My favourite way to do this is buying Tesco's own brand jam, throwing away the nasty processed jam inside (of course) and using them to put in oats and smoothies etc. There's a life hack for you ;)

If cold oats in the morning sound weird, I totally get it. But trust me, these are delicious. The amount of different things you can do with overnight oats is limitless, but the reason I've been opting for green oats is for the amazing amount of nutrition in a green smoothie. Kale and spinach are amazing vegetables and sources of plant protein and iron which is essential for veggies / vegan to make sure you're getting all of the nutrients you need. Since having a green smoothie everyday I've noticed a massive improvement in my skin / hair, if that gives you the motivation you might need to give this a whirl!

Anyway, onto the method (btw, I'm useless when it comes to measurements, and tend to just make things up as I go along, so just put variations on this to suit you).

INGREDIENTS
For the green smoothie 
1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Alpro coconut milk)
1 big handful of kale or spinach
1 tablespoon spirulina powder (optional but I recommend for extra nutrition)
1 large ripe banana
1 medjool date

For the oats
1/3 cup oats (or how much ever you want)
1 heaped tablespoon of chia seeds (this makes it really thick)

METHOD

1. Blend the green smoothie
2. In a jar, pour in your oats, then the green smoothie over the top + the chia seeds
3. Cover and place in the fridge overnight
4. In the morning, be sure to stir and then eat it cold
5. Add in your desired toppings! I layered Alpro coconut milk and topped with coconut, fresh fruit and cacao nibs.

So there you go! Super easy and super nutritious. I'm really excited to introduce healthy eating onto my blog so if there are any recipes you'd like me to post or any other ideas you have, please let me know!

Would you try this? 
Lydia Rose,
xoxo


Follow on Bloglovin

       TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK 

No comments:

Post a Comment