Sunday, August 9, 2015

A Dreamy Spa Day | North Lakes Hotel

 When I was contacted by the luxury North Lakes Hotel to review their newly opened spa, it was an offer I just couldn't refuse! Nothing says perfection to me like a day of complete relaxation. It was the perfect chance for a much overdue mother and daughter day, too. My mum's best friend and her daughter - who is also one of my longest friends - decided to come along. Your mum, best friend, and a spa treatment is just a winning combination, right?  So off we headed to Penrith for a day of pampering...
 After soaking in the beautiful, scenic views of the Lake District leading up to Penrith, we arrived at the hotel which instantly had a warm and welcoming feeling. With its gorgeous wooden beams, it felt as though were were stepping into a classic country house.  The facilities of the spa are brand new and have everything you could ask for. With a huge swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi, and a fully equipped gym, we were really impressed.  There was even virtual spinning on offer complete with a virtual instructor on a projector, so you could come and do the class at your own pace. We were taken into the spa relaxation lounge where we sipped on herbal teas before filling out our lunch choices for the day. The lady who looked after us was so friendly and accommodating and made sure that my awkward vegan food choices were catered for, which is always a huge plus.
 Next we were taken upstairs to the spa area, where there was a peaceful relaxation room with comfy recliners. The perfect place to just sit, read and empty your mind. There were also refreshments on hand throughout the day - fresh fruit, granola bars and yogurt parfaits were later replaced with more indulgent treats in the afternoon. We slipped into our complimentary fluffy robes and slippers then headed down to the pool for a few hours before our treatments. Along with the welcome area downstairs, you were free to come and go from this room throughout this day as you pleased.

I struggled to get a photo of the pool for privacy reasons, but trust me, it was something special. With its ambient blue lighting and towering arched roof, the pool definitely makes the hotel. I put my mermaid skills to the test and did plenty of laps - got to fit in some exercise there, right? We tried out the sauna and steam room which I could only manage for a few minutes from the heat. Our favourite part was definitely the jacuzzi, the perfect place to chill out and have a catch up.
After chilling in the pool, we headed down to the relaxation area for our much anticipated lunch! As a foodie, I was so impressed with the menu which had lots of healthy options, including a delicious super food salad. When I'm having a spa day, I definitely prefer the choice of healthy, nourishing options. It just doesn't seem to make sense to me to cleanse your skin and mind and then fill your body with unhealthy food. Of course I went for the super food salad of delicious crunchy veggies drizzled in a mustard dressing.  Mum opted for the salmon and Creme Brulee for dessert, which I didn't even manage to get a photo of before she demolished it! I went for the fruit kebabs with a gorgeous mango dipping sauce, yum.
After lunch, it was back upstairs to our private changing room to get ready for our treatments which we had picked out from the Taste of Relaxation package. With this package you choose two treatments with a choice of facials, back massages, body polishes and manicures. Both my mum and I opted for the YTSARA Lawan Facial and YTSARA back, neck and shoulder massage. We were taken into our treatment rooms which were filled with a enchanting aromatherapy scent. Before the facial, the therapist gave a brief consultation to tailor the products to my skin type. I went with YTSARA products as they're 100% natural and I'm definitely someone prone to reactions from new products. I've had quite a few facials in the past but I was really impressed with how thorough my therapist was. It's essential to communicate with your therapist to make sure you get the most out of your treatment! The facial was lovely and left my skin cleansed, glowy and exfoliated.

For the back massage, again the the therapist made sure which pressure I liked which has been a major problem in the past as I'm a complete baby with pain and pressure! She asked me if I had any problem areas so I let her know that I'd been having pain in my right arm and shoulder from typing essays for my degree. She spent some time focusing on this and the relief I felt in my shoulder afterwards was amazing. The massage was just the right amount of pressure to get all the knots and tension out. She also placed a hot bag on my lower back which was so soothing. My mum is way braver with massages than me and went for high pressure - and she came out saying it was the best one she'd ever had!

After our treatments we spent a little bit more time chilling on the recliners and chatting about how much we loved them. There was also make-up and ESPA products on hand to try so we of course took advantage of this! We finished off our day by spending some more time in the pool before heading home, feeling completely pampered and relaxed.

Overall, I really loved the spa and there was nothing I could fault. The staff and beauty therapists were incredible, the facilities were beautiful and lunch was amazing. I would definitely recommend a visit and all of us agreed that we'd come back! The Shire Hotels are part of a large hotel group so if Penrith is miles away from you, be sure to check if there's one near you here.

Are you a fan of spa days? Have you ever visted a Shire hotel?
Lydia Rose,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment