Thursday, August 20, 2015

Things I Wish I Knew About Hair Loss (Before It Fell Out)

We've had some rough times, my hair and I. When my hair started to thin dramatically, I did a huge amount of things wrong. So these are the things I wish I knew about hair loss, before it all fell out...

Dramatic weight loss can be a factor 
It took me a long time to make the connection between dramatic weightloss and undereating with why my hair was thinning. Dramatic weightloss can be a "shock" to the body and cause physical trauma that may cause your hair to thin. Not only did I lose about two stone, but I had quite an unhealthy relationship with food and was undereating. Of course this might not be the case for everyone, but if you are looking to lose weight, eating enough to nourish your body and doing it slowly is always the best way.

Smothering your hair in products is not the answer
So your hair is falling out, what do you do? If you're anything like me, when desperation strikes, online shopping calls. I spent a ridiculous amount of money on deep conditioners and moisturising products which weighed my hair down. I always thought that the more expensive or more products I used, the better my hair would be. WRONG. Before even blow drying, I would go through a detangler, hair oil, smoothing cream, a volumising product, heat spray and sometimes even a leave in conditioner, then once dry there would be even oils! If this sounds like you, then stop now. The best thing you can do for thin, lack-lustre hair is to use as little products as possible. A few months ago I discovered WEN which has absolutely changed my life and which I will be reviewing more in depth very soon. It's a cleansing shampoo which doesn't lather and has stripped my hair of all the built up residue, leaving it feeling and looking more like my old hair. Besides a heat protector and some moroccan oil I use nothing on my hair and it's the best condition it's been in a long time.

You're going to have to find a way to make it work, without heat
Hair loss is extremely upsetting, but you have to find a way to make it work.  Daily heat is never the answer and there are plenty of hair styles you can try so that you don't have to style it. Whilst investing in a good set of hair extensions helped my confidence, I wore them everyday which of course did my hair no good. My answer was a beanie all winter and wearing my hair in a messy bun and trying to only style my hair when either totally necessary or if I was going out. It'll take a few months but your hair will thank you for it.

Being unhappy won't make it grow back faster - in fact, it'll do the opposite
How our hair looks has a huge impact on our self confidence. I allowed it to completely consume my life, damage my self-esteem and limit my happiness. Focusing on your mental and physical health is extremely important if you're losing your hair. You can't always minimise stress, but you can find ways to manage it. I was so unhappy that I found it hard to get into a routine or stay on top of daily life, which of course, makes you more stressed and more unhappy.  Don't allow your hair loss to take over your life or be another stress factor that may contribute to it falling out in the first place. The best thing I did was buy an agenda, get organised, and start going to the gym. Focus your energy on doing the things that make you happy and know that it will grow back with some time and patience.

Have you ever lost your hair?
Lydia Rose,
xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment