Sunday, July 27, 2014

SUNDAY CATCH UP | TURNING 20, MEXICAN FOOD & LEARNING TO LIKE YOURSELF


This week has been pretty up and down. Good points? My summer starts now, meaning I have all the time in the world to fill with writing and blogging. My birthday was lovely, I hung out with with friends, had the dreamiest afternoon in The Lakes and gorged on Mexican food. These photos were taken in my favourite restaurant where I live, Amigos. The best Mexican ever. But negatives? Well...


I had the worst hair disaster I've had in, like, years. Basically, a chemical reacted in a product I'd left in my hair (I never wash it before going to the hairdressers) which reacted with the dye and so a pretty hefty chunk of my hair snapped off. I don't want to talk too much about it as I don't want to scare anyone by giving out false information. So I'm going to wait to hear back with a bit more scientific back up, and then believe me, I will warn you about the product you need to wash the hell out of your hair the night before you get it dyed.
As you can imagine, it's affected my happy, motivated vibe this week. But it's also made me think a lot about self-image and how much of an impact it has in my life. I totally understand the power of improving things about your appearance as a means to boosting your self confidence. I've had my teeth straightened, my hair bleached, I've lost weight. All of these things have helped to make me at peace with the girl in the mirror. But where do you draw the line, if your appearance is the only thing making you feel good? When does it become an obsession?
My head isn't just filled up with the next hair product I'm going to buy or what outfit I'm going to feature on my blog. I have a hell of a lot more going on. If this had happened 2 years ago, I think I would've just had a melt down.  I've been scared of turning 20, but it's forced me to reflect on my teen years and think about how much I've grown as a person. A flaw in my appearance doesn't throw my universe off centre anymore - and it's a relief to say that. I have a tuft of hair in an obvious place that is going to take years to grow out. Whenever I wake up in a bad mood, that little tuft is going to stick up and just make that feeling worse. But let's be honest, if visible flaws are the only thing contributing to your bad day then you need a reality check.
I had a crying fit and got over it. Sometimes I think losing your comfort blanket is the best thing because it forces you to get a thicker skin. That skin will get you through life. Not relying on cosmetic things like your hair. I've realised that I need to start being kinder to myself, stop obsessing and get a grip. And hey, at least the growing out period will mainly be in the winter and I have a pretty awesome collection of hats.
What I'm saying is, if you've ever had a knock to your visual appearance; be it a shit haircut, dye job, whatever, embrace the opportunity to learn to how to like yourself. I'm taking baby steps, but I think I'm on my way.

How was your week? Have you ever had a hair disaster?
Lydia Rose,
xoxo

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment